Friday 5 March 2010

Bring back the Green Goddess...

The first post I wrote in January was all about the dreaded New Year's Resolutions and how I was putting together a small plan for my 2010. And two completed months in, I am still smiling to strangers, have been to the farmers market and I have only been caught out without a bag once.

I have also started to run. Now, for many, this will be an 'and?' moment, but this should be understood - I have not done ANY running for about 8 years, and have a very dodgy knee courtesy of relentless damage from ambitious snowboarding activities over the past 10 years.

So, even in the bitter cold and white out conditions of January, I have been donning my running gear and venturing into the sharp night air - determined to get fitter with good old Mother Nature.

I am now up to 3 miles a night, which is not a massive amount, but I am progressing at a steady pace. I have lost weight and my continued sinus aggravations have lessened. I love it and I am set to run (I think) 6 miles for Sport Relief later this month and 10K dressed as a super hero (exact one to be decided - suggestions welcome) in May.

But when it comes to the bits and bobs and gadgets for runners, are there any green options? I think the fact that I am pounding the pavements rather than in a stuffy, expensive gym is a start, but when it comes to renewing worn out kit what is about?

Let's start with the feet - we all know that trainers are never going to be high on the green front, but a few companies are trying to find eco solutions for the construction of components. One such company is Brooks who have developed a degradable midsole which breaks down when consigned to landfill and form each one rather than 'cookie cuttering' them out of a single sheet, so reducing waste. They also have an outsole made from a sand based rather than oil based compound, so pretty good.

Next - socks. Organic cotton is obviously an option, as is bamboo - which is super soft, helps to draw away moisture from a sweaty tootsie and are, well, lovely.

So - onto the trews - Organic cotton again is an option (these look nice), but you can also find options in hemp and soy fibres. Good companies to look at include Patagonia and LuLuLemon, good old Howies and the lovely Gossypium.

T-shirts are based on a similar vein, but you can also get recycled polyester versions as well as the organic cotton and bamboo sisters.

And you can even wet your whistle with a reusable and recyclable aluminium drinking bottle from Sigg, or with a recycled plastic one such as these from Orla Kiely.

Post run? Pampering can come in many forms, eco, naturally formed and ethically sourced.

Want to do some good when you run? Well, how about Eco Running - get fit and clean up the streets.

So there are - no excuses - get out there and make the Green Goddess proud!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Claire - well done! You make me feel exhausted (but maybe my sore throat excuses me). Does alpaca count? I love my alpaca socks and would have had chilblains this winter, running or no running, if I did not have them. And no airmiles are involved as they come from yarn spun and knitted in the Uk from a British flock.

    (P.S. If you are losing weight, I won't recognise you at Malvern!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silver surfer...dno, Captain America...I'll sponsor you if you go as Captain America

    ReplyDelete
  3. WSC - yep - Alpaca definately get my vote as well - they are lovely and soft and great to knit with!

    MarkD - hmmm, you may be on, except I am thinking about running as SuperGran, with wheels on the bottom of a zimmer frame...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take it easy with the running. I used to love go round and round a running track, but over did it and now suffer from wretched shin splints. I look ridiculous when I put my supports on to do some light jogging on a treadmill at the gym.

    ReplyDelete