Monday 2 February 2009

let it snow...

I love snow. It might be because I am an avid winter sport enthusiast (of the single plank variety), but I think a bit of the cold white stuff does us all wonders.

Firstly, we get to see our lovely world covered with a clean white sheet which seems to wipe away all the dirt, despair and crap that builds up over the rest of the year.

Secondly, we can appreciate the bare bones of trees, as they stand with their cloaks of white outlining their barren branches. We see things we do not necessarily see in the grey wash of a typical winter day. We see a unification and yet a contrast in structures.

But maybe the most heartening of all is that we speak to people we would probably never had spoken to ordinarily. Don't get me wrong, I like to talk, and I would class myself in the smiley say hello to people brigade, but not everyone you meet would normally say hello, let alone stop for a quick chat.

Today was different.

Today I joked about the lack of milk in the corner shop with an old man (would I have to resort to watering down Carnation like he did in the war), laughed with the owner of a lowered VW Beetle which was acting as a very effective snowplough and chatted with others as loony as me to be out at 7.30 in the morning taking pictures. I had only met one of the many before.

We Brits unite in a crisis, and joke at our misfortune.

Wouldn't it be great if we were all like this all of the time, and not once every 18 years or so? The world would be a nicer place if we were all to imagine a woolly white covering all year around...

No comments:

Post a Comment