Thursday 22 January 2009

an apple a day...

The past couple of days have been varied - a proper mix of good and bad...
Meetings. Stressing at my Internet which has been playing up. Shopping.

Shopping? Oh yes, and of the nicest kind - yesterday I went shopping for trees. Not just any old tree, but for apple trees for our forthcoming show garden, the electric urban orchard.

It would not be an orchard without apple (or some kind of fruit) trees of course, and I was really looking forward to visiting one of my favourite nurseries, South Downs Nurseries, to pick out some beauties...

After wandering about with my notebook, jotting down pollination groups, nicely trained examples, cookers and eaters I finally made my decision...

So we have in our mini orchard:
2 x Howgate Wonder espaliers
2 x Egremont Russet espaliers
2 x Ambassy standard
10 x stepovers (mix of Falstaff, Greensleeves, Cox Orange)

oooh - what a lovely bunch they will be...
want to know more about apple varieties? Want to identify a tree you have in your garden? look here...

No comments:

Post a Comment